4.08.2010

knitted sweater dress

This is a sweater dress that my mom knitted and embroidered in the early 1970s. I inherited it a few years ago when I basically carted it out of her house, saying, "I'm going to take this." (At least I think that is how I got it- that's how I get most of my things from my mom. She may have offered this one.)

I love it, although I haven't found the occasion (or the weather) quite right to wear it.

The dress was another pattern in a McCall's needlecraft magazine. I'm starting to think I'd like to order some back issues (if that were even possible) of this magazine!

My mom made the dress by knitting in the round (circular knitting). She created and cut steek stitches down the neckline opening. Then she embroidered on a black wool backing, and attached the green felt. She didn't deviate from the pattern at all. (In her words, she wasn't skilled enough to deviate... yet.) If she were to redo the dress, she would have used better quality yarn and would have never used felt.

One of the things I find most impressive about this dress is that my mom finished it the same winter that she started it. That's crazy!! But she is the most productive person I know, so that is also not surprising.

Whenever I feel ambitious enough to attempt wearing this dress, I pair it with creme tights and black knee high boots. It looks great. Except that it fits me exactly like those paper Chinese lanterns that we made back in elementary school: fitting in the shoulders and on the hem (?) but very large in the middle. Also, it is warmer than warm. One winter I WILL wear it when it is really cold. I almost wore it on Christmas Eve this year, but I figured I'd love it for 30 minutes and then want to change. The most annoying thing about it is how tight it is at the very bottom- not much mobility.

However, I love love love the style of the dress and absolutely love the embroidery. After discussing it with my mom last night, this is the idea: what if I removed the embroidery, found something to replace the felt (which has no 'give' to it), and reattached it? I think there should be plenty of stretch on the bottom if there is stretch in the middle. However, if I did this, would you keep the green color or change it to black? I love the green on the neckline but am not sure about it all over.

My mom noted that she thinks it is interesting that she didn't wear this for years but always kept it in her closet. I have done the same, and have not worn it out yet at all. But, I think there is a lot to this dress that is just perfect. It would sell for so much at a place like Anthropologie. Perhaps this summer I will work with my mom on a few minor adjustments. It's too amazing to keep on a hanger for so long.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing and it's wonderful you're wearing it. As for the green felt, I'm in favor of replacing it as today's market yields so many high quality options in wool, including wool felt. For me the green seems like it belongs, it's a fair isle design, correct? I think traditionally fair isle often has a brighter color added for accent. Take a look here ahttp://www.jessica-tromp.nl/norwegianknittingknitwearnorse.htmt for other color options. Thanks for sharing this outstanding example of knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, madonna! thanks for commenting on my blog so often. the more i look at the sweater, the more that i think it is just the puckering bad green felt i don't like, not the green itself. it gives a pop of color that is probably one of the signature things about the dress. i appreciate your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete